Communications Officer (37.5 hours per week)
Location: The role will predominantly involve remote working with occasional travel into London.
Salary: Up to £29,000
Closing date: 1st March 2024
We are looking for a Communications Officer to drive our external communications programme. Working across a diverse range of topical issues, including NHS funding and government investment, workforce, professional practice, patient safety and health inequalities, you will be the primary point of contact for the organisations’ PR, communication and social media programme.
Reporting into the Head of Public Affairs you will work closely with the CCA’s Policy team and our CEO to deliver the organisation’s communications plans.
You will be:
- responsible for an active press office, fielding press queries and building relationships with national, broadcast and trade journalists.
- working collaboratively with the communications leads from our member companies, who are some of the most recognisable brands on the high-street.
- designing and promoting the CCA’s thought-leadership reports and analyses which seek to set the policy agenda.
The position is ideal for someone with 6-12 months’ experience, who is keen to work across an array of health and corporate communications issues.
You will be joining at an exciting time for the CCA and the community pharmacy sector.
Skills and experience
- Some prior experience in an agency, press officer in an in-house role or a similar role (e.g. journalism) is desirable though not essential.
- The ability to distil thought-leadership reports into a few key messages.
- Ability to foster good relationships with journalists and effectively pitch in stories using strong interpersonal skills.
- Good written and verbal communications skills.
- Good time management and ability to manage multiple requests and workstreams.
- Education to an undergraduate degree level, or equivalent, preferably in English, journalism, media studies or public relations is desirable though not essential.
- Basic understanding of graphic design tools, such as Canva, is desirable though not essential.
Diversity and Inclusion
At the CCA, we are committed to attracting diverse talent that represents the society we live in.
We encourage applications from all regardless of age, sexuality, socio-economic background, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, or beliefs. We are committed to building a culture of belonging and inclusion and this is reflected in our policies, practices, and the executive team.
We are a family friendly organisation, and we encourage flexible working as we want our employees to achieve a healthy work-life balance. The role will be undertaken remotely with occasional travel into London.
Who are we?
Established in 1898, the Company Chemists’ Association (CCA) is a trade association for the large community pharmacy operators in England, Scotland, and Wales. We represent the interests of our members and provide a forum for them to combine their unique scale, skills, and knowledge for the benefit of patients, the public, and the NHS. Our members are: ASDA, Boots, Morrisons, Pharmacy2U, Rowlands, Superdrug, Tesco, Well Pharmacy. They dispense over 500 million NHS prescription items every year and deliver a broad range of healthcare and wellbeing services – such as COVID vaccinations and blood pressure checks.
How to apply
To apply for the role, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to [email protected], with a subject line “Communications Officer vacancy”.
The closing date is Friday 1st March. First round interviews will be held remotely and may take place before the closing date. Successful candidates will be invited to a second-round interview which will take place in-person and will be asked to undertake a task.
For further information or if you would like to arrange an informal conversation about your suitability for the role, please contact us at [email protected].
- You can download the full job description below.